2011 is a year that marks the beginning of the change in how we consume media…movies, music, photos from hard copies onto streaming, streaming and more streaming. Whether we stream from Netflix or Pandora or from our own servers (where we ripped our own legally purchased movies), having everything at a touch of the button is more than simply convenience. As this site is dedicated to media streamers, we will compile a top 10 list containing the 10 best media streamers currently available on the market based on their advertised capabilities. Among the most important factors to be taken into account are DLNA support, internet clients, supported video formats and so on. We’ll try to list the best DLNA media player, best 1080p media player, best internet media streamer and the big prize will go to the best media streamer overall. I will also include a comparison table. Let the battle begin!
Read the rest of this entry »
- Video/Music/Photo playback
- Support DTS
- Full HD video playback and navigation – up to 1080p
- Movie viewing with subtitles
- Music playback
- Photo viewing
- Connect without limits – Just add more USB drives for more space
- HDMI, component and composite video connections theater easily.
- Lets you connect to the highest quality HDTV Display or Home Theatre
- USB 2.0 high speed Host/Device
- SD/MMC/Memory Stick card-reader
- USB -> Card copy
- Product Name: MediaGate M2TVD
- DTS 2.0 Digital Audio Out
- AC/DC adapter: DC 5V/3A
- Power Consumption: -1000-2400 , 50/60 HZ
- Unit Weight: 0.26 KG
- Unit Dimension (WxHxD): 165 x 165 x 36 MM
- HDMI outout: Up to 1080P
- Movie Format Supported: RealVideo 10, VC-1, H.264, WMV9, MPEG1/2/4, AVI (Xvid, AVC), MKV, MOV, TP, TS, ISO, ASF, VOB
- Music Format Supported: MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV/PCM/LPCM, AAC, FLAC, Dolby Digital, RealAudio
- Photo Format Supported: JPEG, BMP, TIF/TIFF, GIF, PNG
- Subtitle Format Supported: Audio Decode: MP3, WMA, AAC, MPEG 1 Layer 2, PCM, WMA Pro
- Photo Format: Graphic Decode: JPG/JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF, TIFF
- Subtitles: Srt, Smi, Sup, Ssa, Idx+Sub
- Y/Pb/Pr component output
- Optical/Coaxial digital audio output
Roku as the first to feature a Netflix search option in its box, but Microsoft is close behind. Starting in November, an update to XBOX 360 software will bring Netflix search capabilities to XBOX 360. Combined with the new ESPN 3 service for XBOX 360 recently announced during E3 2010, the XBOX is slowly becoming an important player in the media streaming market. Microsoft also announced today the availability of a new slim piano-black XBOX 360, “whisper quiet” that should be better adapted to our media rooms. The new slim XBOX 360 version adds a larger 250GB hard-drive and integrated WiFi-n.
The latest generation product, the WD TV Live Plus , adds services such as YouTube, Flickr, and Pandora and most important, a Netflix client which is a must have today as mp3 support was a number of years ago. Among other worth mentioning features, WD TV Live Plus adds support for DVD ISO images including DVD menu structure, wireless mice and wireless keyboards for fast text entry.
The box itself is very small and the power consumption minimal, making it an ideal candidate to replace your Home Theater PC. It supports the most CODECs in industry and, hardware wise it includes a HDMI port, S/PDIF, component and composite ports.
Check here for a detailed review.
XStreamHD is definitely on a roll lately getting more and more goodies for your viewing pleasure. After securing a deal last month to get coverage for North America using EchoStar’s AMC-16 satellite, now they found something useful to actually broadcast. And remember, they are broadcasting in full 1080p glory and 7.1 sound. Impressed yet? And now thanks to the agreement with Lionsgate, a rich content consisting in over 12,000 titles will be available. Beside broadcasting, XStreamHD also provides a server to store your content as well.
Currently, there are two packages available:
- The FAST Start package for $399 includes 1TB HD Media Server and one HD Media Receiver
- The PRO Start package for $499 contains an upgraded HD PRO Media Receiver. For those of us continuously out of space, 2TB and 4TB might prove more useful.
Asus EeeBox EBXB202-BLK-X0081 Desktop PC (1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home) Black
Syabas announces its new Popbox ship date to be July 23rd, but deeply disappoints its prospective clients by drastically reducing the number of web clients available at launch. If you remember, during CES2010 days, Syabas advertised a large number of web clients that Popbox supposedly had in work/agreement. Among the previously advertised clients were Facebook, Pandora and the most important, Netflix. Half a year later, none of this big three will see the light of the day and your living room. A bad decision, especially now when Netflix support is as popular and as mandatory to be included as mp3 format was several years ago.